...Edward.
A few weeks ago, I would have denied any and all interest in him. Yet, something changed. I found out for myself what many girls have been fully obsessed with. Edward Cullen is a fictional character from the Twilight book series by Stephanie Meyer. It was recently made into a movie as well. I do not like reading, so reading four books that are all over 400 pages wasn't going to happen. But I am never opposed to seeing a movie with good popcorn and a Dr. Pepper. So I gave in, went against what I thought was my better judgement, and went to see the movie...
I was blown away. I was not expecting to experience what was held in Twilight. It is about a normal girl who meets a vampire, Edward. Yes, a vampire. I, along with so many others, am in love with a vampire...from a fictional story! Although I have not read the books and have only seen the first movie (it covers the first of four books), I have enough to justify my reasoning for being completely obsessed with Edward.
Ever since I was a little girl, all my friends and I wanted was for our own 'Prince Charming' to come and sweep us off our feet. It seems now that the tides have changed. All I hear now is "I'm waiting for My Edward." How can one character seemingly change the way most girls think. The question should not be Who is Edward, but instead, What is 'Edward?'
I may not know everything about Edward. I have not read the books, so I know there is a lot that I am missing. However, from just a simply movie, I was able to come up with this...
GOD is Edward.
Edward loves unconditionally. He is always there for Bella (the main character in the series). He would do anything for her. Although not an exact match in ANY way, there are many things that point to why so many girls have fallen in love with this character. At one point in this movie, Edward must protect Bella do what is best for her. She gets upset because it is not what she wants. Many times in life, God is leading us in one direction to take care of us. We often kick and scream because we do not see where God wants us to go or why He wants us to go. God knows what is best for all of our lives. We have to trust God and follow Him, just as Bella must do with Edward. During another part, Edward asks Bella if she is afraid of him. She replies that she is not. Within the next few moments, Edward shows her what he truly is. Bella finally says that she is afraid. As with God, I know there should be a balance between Grace and Fear. I know that I need to fear more of God, and he has actually shown me that recently. God has full control over everything. Yet, we still have the choice to follow him. We can be afraid, yet so intrigued and so in love that we do not stray away.
There are many things that point to this connection of God and Edward. I know that it is no where near a direct match. But I do think that a major part of why so many are 'in love' with the character is that so many things Edward does resembles the way God loves us. It is what every girl wants. We want someone to come sweep us off our feet. We have moved on from wanting a prince to wanting our 'Edward' to come. A Prince is 'Perfect.' He rides on a horse and rescues the Princess. That is a fairytale. I believe what draws so many into Edward is that he is the modernized prince. Yes, he may be a vampire. Yet, it is more realistic than every girl in the world sitting in a castle far away waiting to be rescued. I do not believe there are enough castles, horses, or dragons to be slayed! We as girls and women want to be loved unconditionally by someone. Thankfully, no one ever has to worry about being loved. God is our Ultimate Edward. He loves us with a love that is so great it is hard to comprehend.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." ~1 Corinthians 13:4-8
This is the kind of love that I long for and strive to be. I am thankful to have God as my Edward. And I am truly bless to have a second Edward, my earthly Edward...
...I am done waiting for my Prince to come...
...My Edward Showed Up First...

No comments:
Post a Comment