Monday, February 9, 2009

Architecture or...

...Photography?


That is the big question in my life right now.  I began my college set on what I was going to do.  Play golf and study Interior Architecture and Design.  I believe now, however, that my heart is changing...

In high school, I took two years of photography and could have taken a third.  I felt that the class was taking me away from what I loved.  I loved taking pictures for fun, as a hobby.  I loved the classes, yet they were beginning to take the fun out and putting stress in.  So for my senior year, I did not take photography.  Then came college.  What was I going to major in?  It wasn't necessary to choose one.  Many people don't choose right away.  I was going to be one of those people with the major of 'Undeclared' until one day when I was looking through the list of majors.  There it was... Architecture.  Something jumped out at me and I began to research it.  Everything seemed just right, everything seemed to fit me and what I wanted to do!  So after a long period of time of deliberating, I declared my major in Interior Architecture and Design.  I was thrilled!  The first semester came and went.  I enjoyed the majority of the semester with 4 different design classes.  As second semester was getting close, I went out with a couple of friends.  We got on the topic of school and what we wanted to do with our lives.  A very good friend of mine asked me a simple question...  Is architecture what you plan on doing after college?  For some reason it threw me off guard.  Many people have asked me similar questions and I had never really stopped to think about it.  Was this what I wanted to do with my life?  I know I want to play golf, but what about life without golf... is architecture what I wanted to do?  As I began to debate with myself over this issue, I also began once again researching other majors just to see what else there was.  Something caught my eye.  Something I had missed or ignored the first time around...

Photography.  

For some reason, I got excited!  I began researching it and found that it was really interesting.  The more I thought about it, the more I couldn't understand why I didn't acknowledge it when I decided to major in Architecture.  As time went on, I realized how much I do truly love  photography.  I began to think about my decision back in high school to not take photography.  I believe it was possibly one of the best decisions I have made.  There is a saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Well, even when it comes to taking a class that saying is true.  As I read course descriptions for the Photography major, everything seemed to fit.

I love my architecture classes.  I love my professors.  Yet, something is missing.
I have no passion for it...

I was at a party with friends, family, and my camera.  I saw a "Kodak moment" and started snapping shots.  After a while, someone came and asked me if I was a professional photographer.  I was surprised by the questions and simply said, "No, it's just what I love to do."  A few minutes later, another person came to me and asked if I was a photographer for a living.  I laughed and yet again said no and that it was just what I love doing.  I was shocked that two separate people at two different times came and asked me the same question.

Photography makes me happy.  It is something I love and enjoy doing.  So after a long and hard time of debate and prayer amongst myself and God, I have made my decision...

I love Architecture and I always will, but photography is my...


Passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment